Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Responding to Literature

During our interactive read aloud we have been reading the novel "Rules" by Cynthia Lord. While reading we have been thinking about the main character in the story Catherine and how she responds to different situations with her brother David, her new friends Kristi and Jason, and her parents.

Characters in stories are complex just as they are in real life in that they experience a wide range of emotions, they have to make difficult decisions at times, and have multiple perspectives or views depending on the situation presented.

Comment on a time in the story where Catherine or even another character has either shown emotion, had to make a difficult decision, or had a view on a situation that made you infer something about them. Elaborate on your answer by showing through your response what made you think that.

2 comments:

Mr. Scott Lamont said...

Life is not easy and there are times when we have to make decisions that we regret or don't know why we made them at the time. I'm thinking about Catherine and the moment in the park when she sees Kristi while she is with Jason and her decision to hide rather than introduce Jason to Kristi. I found this frustrating because I wanted Catherine to have the courage and strength to realize that if Kristi was truly her friend, as she so desperately hopes, then Kristi would not only be happy to meet Jason, but would also be his friend too. I was disappointed in her decision, but I also realize why she felt the way she did in making her decision. I look forward to seeing how she changes as the story progresses.

Silvina Tomsin said...

Though disappointed by it, I could understand Catherine’s reaction at this point in the story. Her decision made me remember that there were times in life when I wanted to be liked by others so much, I ended up doing things I wouldn’t normally do, acting against what I felt or believed in, or even hurting those who loved me the most. In 3C we have been talking about friendship and how even though, we all want to be liked and loved, we should always be true to ourselves and expect to be loved for who we are. I look forward to seeing if Catherine comes to this realization later on in the story.